To shape a national cultural identity through the implementation of sustainable programs in arts and culture with specific focus on training, research, preservation and the creation of economic opportunities in cultural industries.
- Perform the roles of protector, preserver and promoter of the customs, traditions and values of the Nevisian patrimony.
- Research, document and archive the entire Nevisian cultural heritage phenomena.
- Implement sustainable training programs in all areas of the performing arts in schools and communities on Nevis such as, Dance, African Drumming, Music, Drama and Steel pan.
- Revive and preserve the Nevisian folk culture e.g. masquerades, clowns, cake walk, giant despair, string band, quadrille, big drum music, folk singing, storytelling and folk medicine.
- Develop and implement programs to promote other cultural art forms such as the visual, literary, culinary and festival arts.
- Organize and coordinate the celebration of significant annual events such as Black History Month, Emancipation Day, Independence Day and Christmas celebrations.
- Promote closer relations with regional/international countries through cultural exchanges.
To fully integrate the Nevisian cultural entity into the overall national development plan.
- To educate the entire populace in all aspects of Nevisian culture through awareness programs via the internet, radio, television, print media and street theatre etc.
- To provide technical training to effect the efficient operation, maintenance and management of equipment and cultural spaces for the department and throughout the island.
- To encourage the formation and sustenance of cultural groups in the area of dance, drama and music and other aspects of the arts.
- To train a cadre of volunteers to assist with all aspects of research and documentation.
- To establish a Documentation Centre for the use and benefit of residents, visitors and students at primary, secondary and tertiary levels.
- To regularly produce literary, audio, visual documentaries to promote the rich cultural heritage and potential of the island.
- Use drama and other cultural art forms as a tool to foster positive social behaviour among youth.
- At the department of Culture we are committed to:
- Cultivating and maintaining excellent communication within the department, amongst the various government ministries/departments and the general public.
- Carrying out our duties and responsibilities with dedication and efficiency.
- Treating each other as well clients with respect and dignity at all times.
- Providing the necessary support to all in order to accomplish the department’s mandate.
- Using our creative abilities and initiative to fuel cultural development throughout the island.
- Ensuring that officers exercise confidentiality and honesty in their daily business transactions.
- Accepting change as an important aspect of development.