Our mission is to employ modern equipment and dedicated personnel in an effort to preserve and enhance the environment through proper waste management Practices; that citizens and residents can enjoy a healthy lifestyle for many generations
Aiming for comprehensive and permanent sustainable solutions to the environmental problems on the island
For many years a dump site was operated on Nevis by the then Sanitation Department, under the umbrella of the Ministry of Health. However, in 2001 the OECS mobilized the conversion from dump sites to landfills in member states. Construction of the landfill on Nevis was completed in 2002. In 2002 The Nevis Solid Waste Management Authority was created as a statutory body of the Nevis Island Administration under the Ministry of Health. As a result of this conversion, the practice of burning domestic waste ceased, at the Low Ground Landfill. Therefore, the Landfill approach to managing waste is deemed a more environmentally friendly approach which involves spreading, compacting and burial of waste. Today we have grown to a staff of persons committed to keeping Nevis clean and beautiful for generations to come.
- Bin Rentals
- Daily Household Waste Collection.
- Appliance & Bulky items Collection.
- Beach & Village Clean-up Support.
What can I do to Help:
- Own a garbage bin for your home.
- Know the collection schedule for your area and have your waste ready for the collection truck at that time.
- Keep your garbage bin in good condition, secure it from animals, punch holes in the bottom for water drainage and cover your bin; make sure it’s visible from the road easy for the collectors see.
- Bag your waste and always put it in the bin.
- Broken glass and needles must be placed in puncture resistant containers before being placed in the bin.
- Listen to our weekly radio program “Refuse News” on Choice FM every Tuesday at 10:00am for up-to-date waste management information.
- Never place the following items in your bin or on the curb for regular collection:
- Dead Animals
- Vehicle Batteries
- Construction Debris
- Grass and Garden Waste