The Pre-Census Mapping and Listing Exercise seeks to collect data on the number of households and persons residing in the various communities and provide an update of the housing stock throughout the Federation of St. Kitts and Nevis. Notably this information is important to help the Statistics Department determine how the available resource should be adequately apply to undertake the 2020/2021 Population and Housing Census activities.
The purpose of the Pre Census Mapping and Listing Exercise is to divide each Parish into small manageable geographical units called Enumeration District (EDs). The entire island should be covered in this process and each household should be enumerated.
A household is either:
- A one-person household, defined as an arrangement in which one person provides his or her own food or other essentials for living without combining with any other person to form part of a multi-person household.
- A multi-person household defined as a group of two or more persons living together who make common provision for food or other essentials for living. – the persons in a group may pool their incomes and have a common budget to a greater or lesser extent.
There will be five questions that will need to be answered by Head of Household.
- Who is the Head of the Household?
- A head of household is the person that the household regards as such, and is usually the person who assumes responsibility for decision- making in the household.
- Contact Number for Head of Household
- Number of persons living in the household.
- How many male and how many females live in the household?
- Address of the Household
- A physical address is a physical location of a dwelling unit of household(s). It consists of a number and street name, e.g. 625 Jews Street.
The purpose of the above is to ensure that every person in the country is counted in the pre-census and no one is missed or double counted.