To monitor and regulate relationships between employers and employees in an effort to promote industrial peace and harmony at the workplace, thus ensuring job security and employment stability.
To be regarded internally and externally as an establishment that caries out its functions with a high level of co-operation, helpfulness, integrity, fairness, efficiency and courtesy.
- To investigate and report whether the labour laws and practices concerning conditions of employment and the protection of workers are duly applied.
- To give information and advice whenever necessary to employers and employees as to the most effective means of complying with existing laws or work related matters.
- To visit and inspect places where persons are employed and to institute inquiries pertaining to terms and conditions of employment and related matters.
- To indicate in inspection reports difficulty or abuse not specifically covered by existing legislation.
- To collect, compile and publish statistical data on various aspects of labour relations, e.g. employment figures by sector, labor disputes, work permits, severance payment etc.
- To assist in recruitment, training and placement of workers.
Sustainable Priorities/ Key Responsibilities
- Investigate and report whether labour laws and practices concerning conditions of employment and the protection of workers are duly applied.
- Assess work permit applications.
- Give technical information and advice to employers with reference to existing legislation.
- Visit and inspect places of employment to institute inquiries pertaining to terms and conditions of employment.
- Collect and compile statistical data on various aspects of labour relations.
- Assist in the recruitment and placement of workers.
- Assist in the training of employers and workers.
- Investigate and settle labour disputes in accordance with labour laws and practices.