The Customs and Excise Department manages the security and integrity of our Country’s borders. We also manage the facilitation of fair trade and provide the Nevis Island Administration with an efficient revenue collection service.
We work closely with other Government Agencies, such as the Police, Immigration and Coast Guard to ensure the protection of SKN borders by preventing the illegal importation of smuggled or contraband goods. Further, the CED works closely with other departments and agencies such as Agriculture and Health to ensure that all imports are safe products and that all import permits and certificate requirements are met.
The Customs Department is committed to the execution of its mandate to collect all the various description of revenues for which it is responsible. The undertaking will be done at least cost to the public and in a manner that engender the highest degree of public confidence in our integrity, efficiency and fairness.
- The assessment and collection of customs revenue on commodities imported into and exported out of state.
- The interpretation and application of local and external tariffs.
- Certifying authority for exports of manufactured and wholly produced goods to CARICOM, E.E.C and USA under the respective international trade conventions.
- Institution and formulation of tax policies under customs and excise laws and any other relevant legislation.
- To enforce customs law and prosecute all who have contravened.
- Boarding and clearing of vessels entering and departing our waters.
- Supervision of bonded warehouses and other customs controlled areas
- Supervision of distilleries and breweries.
- Agency duties for other departments with respect of import / export restrictions.