The following article outlines the procedure for obtaining and renewing a driver’s licence.
Driver’s Licence Procedure
- A learner’s permit must be purchased from the Charlestown Police Station Traffic Department (person must be 18 or olderof age).
- Persons must also purchase a permit for the written test at their own discretion (where they will be tested on knowledge of the road and signs).
- After passing the written test, it is decided by the applicant and their instructor when they will perform the road test.
- A permit for the road test must then be purchased from the Traffic Department.
- If successful on the road test, the driver will be issued two certificates from the Mentoring Officer.
- These certificates should be brought to the Inland Revenue Department along wth either their passport or Birth Certificate.
- There is a Driver’s Licence Registration Form they will be required to fill out and after completion a fee of $16.25 is required for the issue of the new licence.
- The duration of a first time licence is two years before the person’s date of birth and three years if it has passed.
*When renewing an expired licence, only the expired licence itself is required and the Driver’s License Form will again have to be filled out, the fee for renewal is $187.50.
*The duration of a renewed Driver’s Licence is three years. if the expiry date has passed by one year, said year will deducted from the time … NOT the fee!!