NIA CHARLESTOWN NEVIS (March 23, 2018) – Acting Premier of Nevis Hon. Alexis Jeffers and other members of the Nevis Island Administration Cabinet expressed satisfaction with progress at the Mondo Track at Long Point at the end of a visit to the construction site on March 20 2018.
Min. Jeffers, who was accompanied by Hon. Eric Evelyn, Minister of Youth and Sports, Hon. Spencer Brand, Minister of Communication and Works said the NIA Sugar Investment Diversification Fund (SIDF)-funded project had advanced and would be ready to host the 24th Gulf Insurance Primary Schools Championships on March 28 2018.
“At this point in time I am impressed with what I am seeing thus far. I will also say … we are ensuring and all of the efforts we are putting in at this track, is to ensure that the first impression next Wednesday will count and that will be a lasting impression for the patrons and the athletes and all those officials who would come here next Wednesday,” he said.
The Acting premier thanked the various ministries and departments for their concerted efforts to bring the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF)- certified facility closer to as state of readiness ahead of the major sports meet. He also thanked Mr. Timothy Caines for spearheading and coordinating the work there.
So far, the seating accommodation for spectators, landscaping, construction of washroom facilities for athletes and patrons, parking areas, vending areas and entrances and exits are nearing completion or completed.
Min. Jeffers used the opportunity to welcome patrons from Nevis, St. Kitts and further afield to witness first-hand the first major event at the facility.
Min. Evelyn said his Ministry is extremely pleased to be involved with the way work continues to progress at the site in readiness for the sporting event.
He reminded persons that the NIA had expended a considerable amount of revenue for the project and the expectation is that the public would attend the meet in large numbers.
The Sports Minister believes that the event will be a competitive one among the athletes.
“I would have been to almost all of the sports meets for the primary schools and I must say that I have been impressed so far with the talent I have seen on display at the various primary schools and of course Wednesday the 28 will be a high point of all of these athletic sports that we have been having across the island.
“I am anticipating a very competitive meet, one that will leave you in awe and so I would just like to join with Min. Jeffers in welcoming all of you in Nevis and St. Kitts to come out and witness what promises to be an excellent meet; quality meet at the new Mondo facility,” he said.
Minister Brand said plans are progressing satisfactorily from the Public Works Department’s point of view and registered the Ministry’s delight to be a part of the venture contributing skills, craftsmanship and the necessary labour to ensure that the event would be one to remember.
He also encouraged the public’s participation at the meet and he urged all to take care of the new facility.
“I want to join with my colleagues to invite the whole of the Federation to come out next Wednesday to be a part of history… I believe that when all is said and done this is our facility and I want to encourage all those who will be using it to please try and take care of it as well…we want to make sure that we take care of it for many generations to come,” he said.
Also present on the tour were Mr. Stedmond Tross Cabinet Secretary and Special Advisor in the Premier’s Ministry and Mr. Kevin Barrett, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education.